Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Response to Conjurethis's Being an Amercian

If you haven't read her blog about being an American please do. Click here to read it. It really hit home. Hmm...being an American. Personally, I grew up in an environment where there wasnt anything but black people. It wasn't the suburbs and it wasn't the country. It was a place that is often ignored by rest of "America." We didn't learn anything is school and almost every one I knew had multiple babies before out of high school. I've always been different because I've always been an individual. I want to make my own history and not live life settling like some many others. I chose to go away to school and get educated. I'm often called "white" because everyone is so "black." I have tons to say about that but that would be a long story. Anyway....I've never felt like "an American." After 22 years of feeling this way, I just take it as loss. I know that my ancestors and I had to work harder than whites to get what we have and I honestly don't think it will be different for my children. I pray for a change, but I don't think that it can be done by just Obama. I mean don't get me wrong...I love the man but there's only so much he can do to change "America."

No comments: